Welcome and a happy new year to one and all.
Last year saw a decline in the offshore scene. If it wasn't for the persistence of the Soling boys we would have been very thin on the water. So well done the keelboat yachters.
This year we have put together an interesting calendar which accommodates both inshore and offshore sailors. As part of the RYA initiative for keeping new members interested in sailing and also to expand the activities of existing sailors, we will be organizing some offshore racing workshops. This will incorporate both on the water experience and in the clubhouse activities over a period of weeks. The sailing activity will probably happen on Saturdays so as to give new crew to the sport time to take it all in.
As the New Year kicks off with racing very soon, I am looking forward to welcoming anyone with a yacht to join in. You will find the offshore fleet a likeable bunch of sailors. Dave Fish, Derek Priestly, Chris Duffy and I form the offshore committee. So if you have any ideas, moans, groans or just want someone to have a chat with over a beer (you are buying) give us a call.
Last year we changed the format for mooring in the marina at Fleetwood. This worked well for us as a club and was extremely good value for money. Unfortunately there were one or two who did not play by the rules, so for everyone's sake and in order not to upset the Marina staff I will explain the system agreed and how it works: -
• If you wish to use the marina, contact Dan Fish our Club Manager. His details are in the handbook.
• Dan will arrange your stay with the Marina staff and confirm this to you. Please don't go trying to make these arrangements yourself as no-one will accept your booking.
• At this point, you must email, fax or deliver by hand a copy of your insurance details to the Marina for their records. Once this has been accepted you will be allowed to use the Marina.
• You can have up to 3 nights in the Marina with your boat free of charge, after that you will be charged at a set rate which is heavily discounted from the general rates. Dan will advise of this as they may increase, early this year.
• Please never, never just turn up in the Marina and try to use the "I have come down from the Yacht Club" card and try to bully your way in. This will be met with their regular charge and payable by you immediately.
I hope this has clarified the situation for all. We do want this arrangement to continue as it is a useful service especially for the cruising section. It gives a good base from which to load your boat before setting off on travels.
As most of the members are aware we have a good contingent of yachts on Windermere again this year competing in the IRC and PY Winter Series, this also incorporates the IRC inland championships. , see the Results page for a link.