Last updated 13th May 2020
You will be aware that the Government is relaxing some of the current rules and guidance regarding Lockdown.
The stance has moved from Stay at Home to Stay alert.
This is detailed in the 50 page document:
OUR PLAN TO REBUILD: The UK Government’s COVID-19 recovery strategy
Blackpool and Fleetwood Yacht Club Committee met on 12th May 2020 where the following resolution was proposed, voted on and approved :
“Restrictions to access to the Club grounds are being lifted from Wednesday 13th May –in line with Government guidelines issued on Monday 11th May . Blackpool and Fleetwood Yacht Club Members are advised that the Clubhouse will remain closed and that those wishing to go afloat do so entirely at their own risk and in the knowledge and understanding that the Club accepts no liability of responsibility for such activity and furthermore, there will be no Safety cover provision at the present time.”
Members accessing the grounds are advised to Stay alert and adhere to the Government guidelines for Social distancing whilst on Club grounds.
Whilst the document runs to 50 pages the following extract is of particular relevance to Members.
Public spaces : SAGE advise that the risk of infection outside is significantly lower than inside, so the Government is updating the rules so that, as well as exercise, people can now also spend time outdoors subject to: not meeting up with any more than one person from outside your household; continued compliance with social distancing guidelines to remain two metres (6ft) away from people outside your household.
You are therefore respectfully requested to comply with the above and be alert to pinch points and surface contamination of gate locks. You need to have well thought out method of launching and recovering dinghies if you are working with someone else and the key to this is NO MORE THAN 2 PEOPLE SAILING/WORKING TOGETHER if you do not live under the same roof.
A Covid 19 Group has been formed to work through and update advice and guidance.
Guidance for use of the slipways etc is given below please read them.
As you will all be aware from the above, we are now able to open some of the Clubs facilities. Below and to assist you, are guidelines for the use of the club facilities that are currently available to members only, so we can enjoy our sport safely during the current difficult climate.
When using the slipway please remember the following guidelines which are in place for your and others safety : -
1. You can only sail with one other member of your household, or you must sail single handed regardless of the boat design.
2. When launching and retrieving you must keep to social distancing regulations of 2 meters away from anyone not from your household.
3. You must assess the conditions and your capability and only sail when you feel that it is safe to do so.
4. Remember, other members will also be operating locks on gates and you therefore need to ensure you have adequate hand cleanser and wipes for your own personal protection.
5. Currently there will be no washing off facility adjacent the garage, any washing off can be done at the top of the offshore slipway again observing social distancing.
6. Please do not gather in groups of more than two and observe distancing.
7. From a safety view point, the Club is not operating any safety cover at this stage and you are sailing alone, ensure that a member of your family is aware of where you are and what you are doing. Also give them an approximate time you will be back home. If you can and have the facility, take a mobile phone with you as this can be tracked in case of an emergency and you can also contact others.
8. Other safety measure you can take – carry a paddle, radio (if possible) long tow line in case you can get a tow from others and it is safe to do so and above all wear your buoyancy aids/life jackets.
9. Please also note that Club equipment dinghies will not be available for use.
As and when the situation changes, we will put revised bulletins out on the website, the Capt’s log and also posted at the Club.
Please also refer to: -
UK.GOV – Coronavirus (Covid 19): guidance and support, staying safe outside your home, https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do section in particular 1
PLEASE STAY ALERT AND FOLLOW THE GUIDELINES.